Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Good Day

Today was good! We just got back from digging a practice garden in town. It was really hard work and also the only real exercise I have done since I arrived here, and after I got back to the training center and showered I was in such a good mood and my head was much clearer.  I am glad I have an assignment where I am going to be doing some physical labor, because it is difficult to exercise here due to cultural/heat reasons.  Because of the starchy diet and lack of exercise, female volunteers actually tend to get a "rice belly" by the time two years is up.  Fortunately large women are considered very beautiful here!

In two days we are leaving for our 3 week home-stays.  We find out tomorrow where we are going and what language we are going to learn (in addition to French).  This home-stay is apparently the first "make-or-break" part of training, meaning the first time where a few people decide to go home.  I am worried mostly about getting sick.  Some home-stays are here in Rosso, but since I requested a smaller village for my permanent site I think that my home-stay site will also be in a smaller community.  

Every time I post on this blog I feel like I am mentioning about 1/20th of the things that I want to, so if anyone has questions about things here just ask and I will answer them on the blog in hilarious Q&A format.  This is the last time I am going to update this before home-stay, so check back in 3 weeks to a month!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

jessie,
i just finished reading all of your blogs... so exciting!! the trash situation sounds intense. i hope you can find some way to reconcile your views with that practice, maybe you'll just learn to save everything... Mauritania sounds like an adjustment to say the least, it's cool that they consider large women beautiful... what about fat babies? did you learn that from you training session or is it obvious just from walking down the street? are you able to walk around alone? how often did you go out and walk around the training area? what do you eat for meals exactly? i hope your homestay is going well, i know you'll get through it. i miss you and love you so much and will wait with bated breath for your next post.
Sarah

Becky said...

yeah jessica! im glad you dont actually have malaria...