Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Life Continues

I have been back at my home-stay site for a few days and it has been really nice to be back. It is the only place I have stayed in Mauritania for any extended period of time, so it feels more like home than anywhere else here. I didn’t speak Hassaniya much during the 10 day site visit and I think my brain needed that time to let the language sink in, because once I got back to my home-stay my language was much better. It is a really good feeling to be able to understand what people say (sometimes) and be able to respond to them. I also feel like now that I can talk I don’t have to dance for laughs anymore, so that is another reason I have been feeling pretty good lately.

As far as interesting news for today, there was actually a coup in the capital! Late last night the president of Mauritania decided to fire all of the military officials, and then they arrested both him and the prime minister. This doesn’t actually mean much for the Peace Corps, but it is pretty cool to say that I have lived through a coup d’etat…

I hope you enjoy the pictures, and thank you to everyone who has sent me mail so far-I just received a bunch in the course of a week and it made me so happy!

2 comments:

RMM said...

I am so glad to hear that you haven't been affected by the coup. It's always nerve racking to hear about any government unrest. Keep the pictures coming - I love them! Can we see one of you with more than your poor mosquito bitten feet showing? Stay safe. Love Mom

lgrabowski said...

Jessica,

I am Marta's sister; I believe she is in your language class. I just wanted to tell you how wonderful your blog site is. It's so nice of you to take the time to create it and update it. Marta isn't really into computers/email too much, so I don't get to see a lot of pictures of her. But thanks to your blog, I am able to see my little sister. I really appreciate it!

I hope all is well... keep up the amazing work and stay well & strong.